… or maybe you did.

March 18-22 is Pet Poison Prevention Week.  So we have compiled a list of foods you may or may not know can be harmful to your pet. If your pet drinks or eats any of the foods below please call your veterinarian right away.


Alcoholic drinks and foods that contain alcohol can be dangerous for your pet. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning range from vomiting and diarrhea to difficulty breathing and tremors.  Significant amounts of alcohol can cause coma or even death.

Chocolate and Caffeine

Both the cacao seeds and the fruit of the coffee bean plant contain methylxanthines. When consumed by pets this chemical can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, and excessive thirst and urination.  If your pet eats a lot of chocolate or drinks a lot of caffeinated beverages it can cause abnormal heart rhythms and seizures. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate have the highest concentration of methylxanthines and are more dangerous than milk and white chocolate.

Grapes and Raisins

No one knows exactly what it is in grapes and raisins that is toxic, however it is known that they can cause kidney failure in dogs.  Until more research is done it is best to avoid these fruits.

Milk and Dairy

Despite the common myth that cats love milk, dogs and cats actually do not have enough of the lactase enzyme to break down milk.  When ingested, milk and other dairy products can cause diarrhea and other digestive discomfort.


Many nuts, especially almonds, pecans, and walnuts, contain a lot of fats and oils.  These fatty foods can cause vomiting and diarrhea. There is also the potential for pancreatitis.


This sweetener, used in gum, candy, and toothpastes, can cause an insulin release in most animals. Initial symptoms of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, lethargy, and lack of coordination.  As the poisoning progresses symptoms can include seizures and liver failure can set in within a few days.



Blog 6 Foods You Didn’t Know Were Poisonous To Pets